Monday, May 25, 2009

few rounds in with new irons

I am hitting the new Taylor Made R7 Irons very good after playing just 27 holes with them. I am still a little unsure about the yardage that each club is good for as the wind has been out of control lately, however I am guessing that I am getting at least 1 more clubs worth of distance out of them. Today I went and golfed 18 holes, however I golfed 9 this morning at Oneka and then this afternoon I went to Tanners Brook for another 9. I ended up getting paired up with a father son combo at Oneka this morning, that worked out fine, I remember why I don't like Oneka, It's a crowded course and the players that shoot there kinda hack the ball around. Needless to say, I was glad when 9 were done and I was in no mood to make the turn. I ended up shooting a 43 and I lost about 8 strokes on the greens missing putts.

I went to Tanners this afternoon and shot another 9, I called and asked how packed they were and for a Memorial day Monday, they were EMPTY. I teed off at 3:30 and got 9 holes in just under 2 hours. This round by far was my best round of the year so far! I ended up shooting a 37 +1 on the round. Highlights started on hole 3, a 172 yard par 3. I had a nice tail wind today and I used my 7 iron and hit a dart right over the pin and stuck it within 4 feet. The shadow of the pin was farther out than my tee ball. Birdie!! Very next hole, Par 5 dog leg right! Slight tail wind, more of a right to left wind! I put my tee ball about 295 out, over the bunker that protects the dogleg, sitting 238 yards out, I pulled my 3 wood out and actually mis-hit my 2nd shot but still put it on the green. Left my eagle putt just a little right but none-the-less, had a tap in birdie. fast forward to the 8th hole, 200 yard par 3. took my 6 iron and hit a power fade, wind assisted, shot over the pin, but rolled off the back of the green, Chipped close and hit the par putt. Hole #9, par 5 over 560 yards, blasted my tee ball up the left side of the fairway and had 224 yards to the cup. Took my 4 Iron and actually ran it over the green, chipped on for GIR and 2 putted for Par.
I was very happy with my play today and am getting very excited to get complete control of my irons.
Looking forward to June 8th when I am going to be in a scramble with a buddy of mine and also the 25th of June when I am going to Brainerd to play the Classic and deacons as I was invited to go by Meyers and Steffen from leagues!

Exciting times.....

No comments:

Post a Comment